Thursday, June 19, 2008

Citrus Garden Orlando

So, here I am, biding my time until my son finishes his SeaWorld camp. I had my free beef stew at the Residence Inn as a snack, but I still needed dinner. I decided to try a Chinese place called Citrus Garden. It was a couple of doors down of the infamous Tokyo Sushi.

Bottom Line -- not worth going out of your way to eat here, if you know your Chinese food. (I was not able to go with my family to Beijing, but the food I had in Hong Kong and Taipei was out of this world.) This reminds me of a story. When I was in law school, I onced lived in a group home of about 6 other people. One summer a young couple (18-20?) moved in for a month or so. Out of the core 7 or so people who lived in the house, 3 of them happened to be Asian American, me included. Well, this young couple, I guess, felt compelled to say how much they liked Chinese food. They recommended a particular take-out place because the joint cooked their veggies soft. The rest of the house kind of looked at each other, understanding that these kids were still too young to know how veggies should be cooked.

Any way, I had a half Peking duck, thinking I wouldn't have to put up with the possibility of overcooked vegetables. I got my wish, but I instead got overcooked duck. On the bright side, I thought their rice was one of the best I had in a Chinese restaurant. Most Chinese places serve their rice a bit chewy, with no moisture. I prefer Korean and Japanese rice, which is served moist, but not too sticky. Citrus Garden's rice came very close to the kind that I like.

No comments: